Saturday 15 March 2008

Leaving Nelson... Murchison Lunch Stop- Greymouth- Hokitika- Franz Josef- Fox Glacier!! * The Wild West Coast *

The wild and beautiful west coast....other than Nelson, my first taste of the undoubtedly beautiful South Island of New Zealand...

On Friday 14th March 08...
I was actually early for my bus (Atomic Shuttles) outside the i-SITE centre in Nelson, so grabbed a coffee and cake slice! (you know me!). It actually put me out to think I was organised and early for a change.... (excited, I think!). Arrived there at 8.40am, and the bus didn't leave til 9.20. As with a few helpful bus drivers I've already encountered (one 'saved' me coming down from Paihia when I'd just been through hell... the Abel Tasman Bus driver who brought me back from Totaranui and also Takaka the next day, and who also found me the free room at the hostel for the night was called John, and so was this one today.... He would turn out to help me out later also.) They all amusingly seem to have white hair and glasses also. Is this just another version of the English 'Bum'...you know, THE Bum, who seems to be the same bloke in each and every town in England? Anyway.... They also wear boots and high socks here.... hehehe!! I'm so immature... it's the little things that get you through each day.....!!!!!!!!
I got chatting to woman called Amy, who lives just outside Greymouth, and was up in Nelson visiting her friend. We had lunch together at the stop in Murchison along the bus journey- she seemed cool, and it's always handy and interesting to talk to a local born and bred!

What can I say about the scenery...??? Wow wow WOW! Amazing!!! Lots of hills (akin to North Island, however a lot higher than the ones up there!!!)... luscious rolling hills were coming right at me as I was listening to my metal/rock/emo/rap music loudly on my mp3 player.... the perfect combination for me :) Also some Bob Marley and Salmonella Dub (a good kiwi band!..chillout I guess??!) were played to keep things balanced. There was a gleaming sparkling lake everywhere you turned and faced. A mix of rough rushing rivers underneath the bridges you pass over....and also perfectly calm ones too. It's so easy to take all of this for granted when your dozing off into your own little world on a bus.... looking around aimlessly, half tired, half awake with excitement, feeling travel sick with all the many windy roads- then feeling fine, listening to the lyrics of the songs.... on what was to be a 9 hour bus ride...... Yikes!!!! However, some of the scenery really grabbed my attention in a BIG way....! As soon as the glaciers started to appear high up amongst all the other hills, and I saw the glaciers and the mountains start to rise way above the clouds, I got my act together and took plenty of photos and video footage to share. Please refer to the ones I post up here soon... Amazing! Just imagine what it was like in my shoes! The view of the glaciers was my favourite....my heart skipped a beat!

We went through Franz Josef, which is bigger than Fox Village (I guess you can say they are rival villages....they both have their glaciers as their focus and main tourist attraction.) Difference is, Franz seems more well equipped for tourists. Fox however, strikes me as a lot more genuine, prettier, and I've also heard the Glacier is better too..... Although, a very small village!!!! The Medway Towns divided by a thousand.... maybe more....
A very good experience for me I think :) More of the 'Real New Zealand...'

When I arrived here, I had a housekeeping job all set up at 'Sunset Motel' and would be staying in my own caravan for 35 bucks a week. However, the driver (John) took me there and asked if I was replacing the other girl who was here for ages. He said she just got on with it, however had trouble with a few things there like the owners, and found it to be really isolated.... (not what I wanted at all!)
He then suggested a hotel up the road called 'Fox Glacier Hotel' (original name I know...) where he stays, and thinks its a really good crowd of people who work there. He said accomodation and everything is part of the deal, you live with other people, and they should be looking for staff. What a lovely driver...he took me up there, went inside and asked them to give me a job (winking and nudging to them)- I said I'd do anything, and there you have it! I have a housekeeping position, with some waitressing at the restaurant. I was provided with my own hotel room for the night, and a nice dinner which I had outside the hotel's cafe, whilst staring at the impressive mountains and clouds in front of me....things seem to be falling into place!! :)

I was moved to staff quarters on Sunday, which is less 'flash' however its okay by me.... (being a backpacker it's a luxury to have your own room, a normal sized bed -not a short bunk bed!- and a decent sized room at that...a lot of floor space, with a wardrobe, and chest of drawers. Also I get all my meals included. They take 85 bucks week out of your wages but hey thats pretty good (roughly 30 pounds!). Usually a hostel is between 120 and 180 bucks weekly just for your bed. So, all is good!

I also bumped into Ash- a canadian girl I had met at the 'Pipi Patch' hostel in Paihia back in Oct/Nov 07-she was next to me at the computer in the little internet shop they have here.... (a little hut with no staff or reception...just basically a room with computers unlocked at 8am and locked up at 10.30 pm in the middle of the village!) and I hadn't realised she was there until I logged off and went to leave lol! We had a good catch up-she works here too, but at the Scenic hotel across the road. It was great to know someone in this village.

Wil update soon when what I do is more than just clean, make beds and waitress!
Enjoy the photos of Fox and the journey- Ta ta! xx

P.s- some interesting things to know....

The nearest ATM is infact a 20 minute drive away in Franz Josef!
The nearest supermarket is a tiny 'co-op' sized one in Franz Josef....other than that the nearest proper supermarket is 2 hours away in Hokitika!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hya hun don't know if you'll get this i got your email last night/ this morning - i was asleep, i did email you yesturday its long! you got it yet i have no credit!
By the way Fox glacier sounds like a memorable place for the wrong reasons! lol- no clothes shops, sounds like there more action on mars at the moment! hehe n well done for not wearing makeup;-) hehe i couldnt do that lol