Saturday 8 March 2008

* Nelson and The Abel Tasman*

Well, this space is a little empty.... a few of you already know that the Abel Tasman didn't come off, for reasons that I will explain to you individually! Which was a shame (I lost money which I'll try to claim back through Insurance...E.G. I had booked my huts (30 bucks each night...which is like 15 pounds a night approx) for two night, and a kayaking day tour for 135 bucks.... 50 squids!!! and also the buses which I had paid for... and trauma attached to it. I might go back to it later, however not sure. Lets see at the end of the trip!
I ended up in Takaka (In Golden Bay)- a small village near to Totaranui on the abel tasman track...and got myself a free bed for wwoofing (helping to clean a little that night and the next morning). The lovely bus driver John sorted this for me, aswell as returning me safely back to Nelson the next day. How I ended up penniless and stranded is beyond me..... I was the most scared I had ever been in my life. In the middle of nowhere with nowhere to go. The situation is too long to explain right now...but basically the bus had been too late, missed low tide (when it is safe to cross Awaroa estuary) hence it was dangerous for me to cross, and there was no otehr track or road way to get me there for my hut which was booked and paid for (all that was in totaranui was a camp site, with no phone, no shops, no huts...and i had no tent or anything.) There was no way to get to Onehuiti (where I had to meet my kayaking trip the next day...) either, so I was basically stuck! The lack of money I wont go into.... but one positive thing I CAN say is that it was an experience....
as with everything on this trip. Not positive and didnt make me feel content at the time... however, an experience nonetheless. One that will shape me.

However, I've been in Nelson now for almost two weeks... and its beautiful.
Pics etc to be updated soon....

Next stop however is for work at Fox Glacier Village. And to be honest...Im a bit bored with beaches etc for now. They are all starting to look the same to me... (which may sound mad and ungrateful to everyone!! lol). But the real stuff I came for was the 'different' stuff..... phenomenons like Glaciers.... I mean.... cummon... youre hard pushed to find a nice golden beach in England.... but sure, youll find some, somewhere. However.... a glacier??? Now that's what I'm talking about..... I'm as excited as hell. As being able to walk up it should hopefully be on the agenda too!!! This experience, will hopefully be- a good one!!
Im booked on the bus for tomorrow (Friday 14th March) and arrive there on Atomic Shuttles (Bus) at 5.40 pm. I have a job secured cleaning at Sunset Motels.... and possibly a second waitressing job.

Will write soon :)

xxx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hmmm it seems like the post is a bit empty :-)mqq