Saturday 1 March 2008

Mount- Auckland- Henderson..and.. Next Stop; South Island!!






Hey Guys

Well, I'm on the move again..... this time to Nelson!!! I decided to not follow the route of my kiwiexperience bus, because it's a set journey starting from North, heading south, and coming back up the East coast and south island. Due to the fact I am planning to do the Abel Tasman Walk and/or Kayaking before the summer is over (which is around March time!) and see Nelson too- which I've heard is absolutely beautiful- I decided to skip the rest of my north island route on the bus, as you can pretty much see Taupo, Rotorua, Waitomo and Wellington at any time of year; the activities there aren't just limited to summer. Also if I had to sit through these stops, stopping for atleast 1 night per stop, and doing the activities I want to do, I would surely run out of money and have to stop to work before reaching Nelson in time! I left Mount Maunganui on Thursday (28th Feb 08), on the intercity bus, after being in a rush to pack up all my stuff...falling asleep early the night before!! Terrible....trust me lol. I saw some pretty and cool places during the drive...the route included 'Papakura' and 'Manukau City'. Anyways, so I arrived at Auckland Sky City (as many of you know, I have a bitter sweet relationship with this place...my heart lifted and felt happy to be here, in the familiar place with so many memories, however I also felt nostalgic and felt my heart sink and panic all in a messy bundle!!) late too, due to the bus being 20 minutes late to start off with, and hitting major traffic, and arrived at 6.45 pm. Claire arrived there with two friends of hers from Bible college, and helped me out with my abundant amount of luggage...which I desperately need to sort through before I move on next!! Then we drove onwards to Henderson (a suburb of Auckland), where Claire studies and lives at Bible College. (If I haven't already mentioned, Claire and I waitressed together at the Sandrock Cafe/Restaurant, in Mount Maunganui). I was provided with my own very nice well equiped room, and breakfast, some lunches and dinner were provided for me with the rest of the students, which was a very nice treat from Claire for the few days I would stay!!! Thank you so much hun, it's very much appreciated..

I met many people here around the campus, all of whom were very friendly and accepting to me. I felt so comfortable and have been chatting to a few people. It feels like I've been here longer than 2 days!! On the first day, I was shown around, we had some dinner, and sat in the TV lounge. Claire and I were thinking frantically about what my next travel moves would be... as I had no clue!! Hehe, trust me eh guys.... the best organised person in the world!!! Claire tends to talk people through things very well I have noticed, and she certainly helped me sort a few things out in my head which I was worrying about....so thank you agan- it's a tough job as many people know!!

On Friday we went to the Warehouse here, looking to buy me a new journal (as I've completed my original, after 6 months of being here now!) and, yet again, Claire helped me through this decision too, and I was very happy with my choice! :)



We had lunch, dinner, went to her friend Ian's 21st, which had the theme 'Villains and Heroes', - Claire's plan was to go as Cat Woman, but when she realised what Cat Woman actually wears in the movies and cartoons, she had a more 'tame' outfit! hehe- complete with some cute ears and a tail! Miaowwee!!

It was a very lovely experience, and the speeches made about Ian were very open, and obviously his friends thought the world of him, and I thought it was so great for everyone to be so open, because I haven't experience this much with people at such young ages. Claire suprised me and had actually booked a cheap flight for me to Nelson without me knowing!!!!!!! :D WOW! It's sinking in....soon I'll be on a plane, heading to the south island of New Zealand for the very first time!!! I can't wait, but at the same time I'm nervous!

We awoke today for breakfast...which was 'yum!!' (as I've heard a lot of Kiwis say! I'm starting to sound like one hehe....) and then whilst Claire went to her cleaning job, I called my lovely baby who I left at home.... teehee, you know who you are :P. The plan was originally to go for a short hike to Arataki in the Waitakere Ranges nearby...however it poured down with rain for quite a lot of the day!!! So, we went for a wander to 'Pak 'n' Save' supermarket across the road with Debbie, and then I went to 'The Warehouse' with Janai to buy me a new umbrella for my up and coming hikes! At the same time, helped Janai to choose a new top!

We got back, chatted and had dinner (again,...yum!) and then I need to start sorting out my stuff for my flight tomorrow!!! Can't believe I'm going guys! Thank you everyone for all you support.... Lucy I spoke to you on the phone for the first time for 2 hours today!! And I loved every minute of it, miss you so much!

Overall Claire has been such a supportive friend to me through some tough times and feelings that I've had recently about all that's happened on my trip. The past few days would have been far from good without her help and company, and without being here. Although we haven't known eachother long I feel as though I know her character really well....every in the college loves her so much and if you were to meet her you'd see why! I hope we keep in touch :)

I have felt so accepted and comfortable here at the college, I couldn't have asked for a better few days to be able to chill and sort my head out, and to just relax, and feel as though people who meet me really seem to like me too! :D It's always good to meet such a bunch of genuinely lovely people.

So ... wish me luck everyone...keep me in your thoughts as I fly, tomorrow (Sunday 2nd March 08, at 4.20 pm)...woohoo!! (If you know me well, you'll know I love flying. However this is probably the smallest plane I would have ever flown in no doubt, so will update you on how that goes!!)

Please feel free to comment to this post on my blog site :D Will be nice to hear from you!

Here are some sites to show you where I've been, and where I am heading on my journey; as it's turned out, of both myself, and of New Zealand.





Pictures in this blog entry are a map of Auckland and Henderson in relation to it..a map of New Zealand, with Nelson marked on it with a red box, Auckland International Airport (where I will be going on Sunday!), an example of a New Zealand Intercity Bus, and Nelson National Park Lake, and Te Pukatea bay, Nelson.... Excited!!!!!





Current Location:

Henderson, Auckland:




Info-





Regional Map-


Next Destination:

Nelson, and the Abel Tasman:




Info-










Lots of love and hugs....Stay in touch!!!



Lorna xXx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lorna,
just today I wanted to write you ... and now I'm reading this. You know how I think about your time in Mount ... ;-) So, this is really a big surprise for me - and a good one! I'm glad to hear that you're on the road again and your target is also one of mine (again) in the next months... I'm curious how long you'll be in sunny Nelson :-)

Florian

Anonymous said...

Hey lorna!

Thought i would drop you a line to say hello!!!! has been such a long time since you went over there, I hope youre still having a great time, have ben reading ur blogs and stuff and u seem to be having loads of fun! Beginning to think youre not coming back!

Drop us an email sometime when you have time, would be great to catch up!

Jeff xx

Anonymous said...

hi me again, nice photo of you and claire i now know what she looks like :-)